Blood Moon

Chapter 2

 

Prince Yohji’s gaze swept across the room searching for a certain redhead, however, his search was coming up empty. Turning toward his brother, he saw that Omi had an amused smile on his face.

" Searching for something, milord?" Omi looked perfect in his gold embroidered dark blue royal clothes, Yohji had to give him that much. However, that did not reduce Yohji’s annoyance at the Duke’s comment.

" None of your business, Duke," The prince nonetheless kept on his search, that is, until his eyes fell on the two figures sitting on the balcony. A small smile crept on his lips.

" My dear Duke, I think I just found your wizard."

Omi turned from where he had been talking to his father’s new wife. The woman was handsome enough with her red locks, however, Omi felt a little intimidated by her; it was as if she was always planning something.

" Lady Erica, you must excuse me now since I have business to attend to," said the young Duke before bowing and planting a small kiss on Erica’s hand.

" I will entertain myself with your father. Do not worry."

Ken kept looking inside the room from the balcony. The sorcerer was worried about having to encounter the young Duke again. The way the Duke stared at him…it was unnerving.

" What are you so nervous about? " Ken nearly jumped when he heard Ran’s voice; the redhead had been silent for so long and made him jumpy.

" Nothing…I just wish I could leave…"

" You take too seriously what people think about you."

" It is not that," a sigh escaped the sorcerer’s lips. " It is almost as if I have a bad feeling, a premonition…"

" Ah,"

" What do you mean by that?" The way the redhead had dismissed his worry bothered him. " Do you not care?"

" Ken…" a sigh escaped the redhead before he turned to regard his friend. Ran had lost faith in so many things that if Ken knew them all… " Everything in life is so unpredictable. You should not be guided by every bad feeling you have."

Ken stared at his friend trying to decipher what was going on behind those amethyst eyes. The only thing he could find was an extreme sense of loneliness and sadness things the brunette would rather not dwell on.

" I understand. Yet, I think you should take your own advice." The redhead gave him a glare before getting up from where he had been sitting.

" Come on wizard, we have business to attend to," Ken slipped a hand around his friend’s shoulders giving a light squeeze before releasing him. Ran gave him a small smile putting Ken at ease. The redhead’s smiles were so rare that Ken cherished every one of them.

" Do not worry, Ran. Everything will work out."

" How are you so sure?"

" Life has not given me a reason not to doubt it."

When Ran and Ken entered the ballroom they were surprised to see the Prince and Duke watching them. Ken stopped causing Ran to glare at him until he felt Ken tug at his wrist and lead him toward another side of the room.

" Ken…"

" I really dislike this. I should have refused…"

Ran pulled his wrist out of Ken grasp. Ken turned to look at him before he had the decency to at least look embarrassed about his behavior.

" Lord Hidaka stop this nonsense," said Ran, crossing his arms.

" Sorry, you know I am uncomfortable in parties."

" Yes, I know and so am I but I will not act the fool because of it." Ran looked annoyed but there was also something else…he looked amused. That set the brunette’s blood on fire, hating to be anybody’s clown. Ran may have noticed the change because he stopped.

" Look Ken, you are the one always telling me to calm down and open up and some other nonsense I do not remember. Heed your own advice and act normal."

Ran said the last with such annoyance that the sorcerer had to control himself from laughing. Now there was an idea, getting tips over how to be normal from the master of abnormality.

"I can see you are amused by this," whispered Ran turning to look around him. "If you ever repeat what I just said, I will kill you."

" I understand," answered Ken before smiling.

" I do not understand why I put up with you."

" Because I am friendly, nice, and you love me," Ken was forgetting his plight while teasing the young lord.

" You really give yourself too much credit," mumbled the redhead while he signaled a servant for a drink.

" I know I am right," Ken answered while he got another drink and his gaze traveled toward the front of the room where the King was going to make a speech.

Yohji and Omi had been watching the two friends who seemed to be discussing something at the end of the room. The prince was starting to realize that those two were very close, how close he did not know…

When he had met them in the forest the sorcerer had seemed annoyed because he was watching his friend. There was also the fact that before entering the ballroom, the sorcerer had hugged Lord Fujimiya.

" Is something bothering you, my prince?" Yohji cringed at the sound of the voice. It was Lady Asuka, Duchess of Sisene. He and the lady had been lovers for almost three years before he left to pursue his schooling. Everybody had believed they would marry, but then he had received Asuka’s letter telling him that she had fallen in love with someone else, which turned out to be the Duke of Sisene and it was over. Nonetheless, the lady had wanted to remain friends. Friends? Such a ridiculous thought, yet he still indulged her. The prince knew it was because part of him still loved her: she had been the only woman out of all the ones he had bedded that he had actually loved.

" Lady Asuka so nice to see you," said Yohji bowing to kiss her hand. Lady Asuka was dressed in a violet dress that bared her shoulders. Her hair was up and when Yohji got close to her he noticed she had on a vanilla scent; she looked exquisite.

Just standing there looking at her Yohji could feel stirrings in his body where there should not exist.

" My dear prince, I am so happy to see that you have returned safe from your travels."

Yohji waved a hand dismissing the thought. " It was nothing, Lady. Studying has no mortal consequences unless you believe books attack people."

Asuka laughed airily, yet Yohji had not meant the comment to be funny. He knew Asuka could read between the lines. She was smart enough.

" My prince, do not say such nonsense."

" Where is your Lord? Still trying to see if he can create gold?"

" Ah, Lord Masafumi is trying to find a way to make our crops stronger. Last winter, all the country’s crops were nearly destroyed."

" Such a lowly hobby,"

" My prince, you should not regard it as such. You are the future king and as such, should be interested in your country’s welfare."

" Lady, if I wanted a sermon I would be having a conversation with a priest." Yohji was getting frustrated with this party and seeing Asuka was making him reach the limits of his patience.

" Forgive me, my lord."

" Do not worry, I am just tired."

"Ah."

The trumpets sounded, making Yohji and Asuka stop their conversation. The King was about to speak and everybody knew better than to disrespect him by not paying attention. The King was known for executing people for less. Everybody said that after he had passed his prime he had become fickle. Nobody was very sure but the rumor held nonetheless.

" Dear citizens of Libertas, today is an great day for my family and Libertas. Our son and heir to the throne has returned to us safely from abroad. It is on this day also that I declare my son Prince Yohji Satnir Kudou to be general chief of the army until he is ready to assume his rightful place as King. May he make us proud." Everybody in the room imitated the King’s gesture by taking a sip of their drinks before starting to clap and congratulate the young prince on his new post.

After the King had made his announcement, Ran started making his way back to the balcony since Ken was engaged in other company. About four ladies had found it fascinating that Ken was the second strongest sorcerer of the kingdom. Ken had only given him a pleading look when he saw him starting to leave, yet there was no way Ran was going to stay with those vultures. Well, that was his thought until he heard the prince’s voice come from behind him.

" Lord Fujimiya, such a beautiful night, do you not agree?"

" I stopped looking at the skies a long time ago, my prince."

" Such a pity…"

Ran just stood beside the prince, feeling uncomfortable with him. The redhead hated to be around anyone who he did not know and the prince qualified as one of those.

" Why did you stop?"

" Pardon me?" The prince had interrupted Ran in the middle of looking for an excuse to leave.

" The sky, why did you stop?"

" My lord, there are some thing better left unsaid," Ran answered becoming annoyed at having his space invaded.

" I understand. I was watching you from across the room; I do not think I have seen a person not smile at all. Well, that is if you do not take my father into account." A smile flashed across the prince’s face. Ran regarded him stonily. He hated the fact that he could not disrespect his prince. If Yohji were not a prince Ran would have introduced him to his fist.

The prince gave a small chuckle. " You should be more careful. Everything you think is reflected on your face."

Ran’s eyes widened slightly before he regained his composure. Ken usually said that whenever he got really angry or annoyed, his face showed it.

" Pardon me."

" Do not worry yourself about it. It happens to everybody. I just thought it fascinating that you should be close to the sorcerer. He never stops smiling."

" It is in his nature to smile," The redhead leaned on the railing as the prince had been doing. If he was going to suffer the man’s company he was not going to be uncomfortable.

" And not in yours?"

" I never said that. I choose not to smile. I think it is idiotic to smile without having a good reason."

" What would your friend say to that?"

" He knows how I feel about it. I do not lie to people I respect and I respect him."

Yohji turned to face Ran. He looked amused and it just made Ran want to choke the smile out of him.

" Do you respect me?"

" You are the prince, and I must respect you."

" In other words, you have no choice. You will say you respect me in order to keep your head," responded the prince, amused at the redhead’s answer.

" I do not fear losing my head. There is a fate worse than death."

The prince’s eyebrows shot up. Ran could see he had not expected that answer." Oh? And that is?"

Ran turned to look into the horizon even though he could not see a thing. The whole city was eerily quiet, only the sounds of owls or the cry of a wolf breaking it. A sigh escaped him; sometimes, he ached to feel something, anything to assure him he was still human. Still alive. It was then that without knowing it that he whispered his answer to the prince’s question.

" Losing your soul…"

Duke Omi was seething. His brother had abandoned him to go talk to the redhead while leaving him stuck with a lady he did not know and who had not wit. That Yohji! And to top things off he could see all those girls talking to the sorcerer and latter did not seem to mind.

" Lady you must excuse me. I have matters to attend to," said the Duke as he bowed.

" Do not worry, my dear Duke. Oh, you must promise me to remind your brother about my picnic." Omi would have cringed but he feared the lady would see it.

" For you, anything, my lady."

As he walked toward Ken, he could hear his soft laugh. Omi was sure he could get the sorcerer, between him and his brother, there still was not a person they had not seduced. Of course, he had only had about three lovers, which did not count at all if you took under consideration how many lovers Yohji had seduced.

" Ladies…I think you may be overwhelming the wizard," said Omi huskily. The ladies turned to see him and blushed.

" Lord Omi," spoke the least shy of them. " Lord Hidaka seemed to be enjoying the attention." At the comment, Ken blushed.

" Ano…I must take my leave. My lord…ladies…" Omi was amused with Ken. He was practically fleeing the situation.

" Lord Hidaka…could I have a word with you?" Upon hearing this, the ladies properly excused themselves, looking for some entertainment elsewhere. Ken was the first to speak.

" How may I help you, my lord?"

" Oh nothing. I just wanted your company…" Omi turned to see Ken who now looked uncomfortable. " Is something bothering you?"

" Huh? N-not in the least, my lord." Ken really wanted to scream and flee the situation.

" There is no need to be nervous," said Omi, walking towards the castle’s gardens.

" I am not."

Omi just smirked.

Of all the things Yohji had expected to hear, the redhead’s response was not one of them and he was sure the latter had not meant to voice that out.

" Excuse me?"

" Huh?"

" So the rumors are true…" The prince was stunned to say the least.

" What rumors?" He could see the redhead getting annoyed again.

" There are some people who say the goddess stole your soul to bind you to her. I didn’t think it was true."

Ran turned to look out into the city again, refusing to look at Yohji. Yohji just stared in awe at the way the moon reflected from the redhead’s face. It made him look ethereal, as if he belonged with fairies instead of him.

" Was there something you needed, my lord?"

" Pardon?"

" Why are you out here?" It seemed that when annoyed, the redhead lost his manners.

" Oh, I just wanted company."

" There is a ballroom full of ladies wanting your company, company that will lead to something more rewarding."

Yohji chuckled. Yes, everybody knew where all those ladies he talked ended up. That made him question why Ran had nobody talking to him.

" Why does no one speak to you?"

A wry smile appeared in the redhead’s face before answering. " They know I am cursed. No use wasting your time with someone you cannot have. You aristocrats always want something in return for your efforts, but in my case, you have to go through a goddess to get it. It is not worth the risk."

The prince knew what he was about to say was stupid and dangerous, and he should just leave things as they are, yet no one ever said he was smart in matters of seduction.

" I think you are worth the risk."

Omi had led Ken to the gardens and when the sorcerer realized where he was, he became very nervous.

" What…what are we doing here?"

" Oh, nothing. I just wanted to get away from all those tiresome people," said Omi, sighing dramatically.

"Well, I am going to leave in a while," Ken said, getting relaxed. The sorcerer usually felt at ease around nature.

" Do you like it here?"

" Yes, my lord. Wizards are more sensitive to their surroundings." Ken did a little turn to look around the garden.

" I am beginning to realize that." The Duke actually enjoyed seeing the sorcerer so unguarded.

" This garden has so much history…"

" Yes, it has been in our family for about three generations."

" I can feel it…" whispered the sorcerer. Suddenly, Ken stopped and turned to look at the Duke. For the first time, Omi had to admit that he felt intimidated.

" Why are you with me, my lord?"

" I told you…"

" Yes, but I would like to know the truth."

Omi’s eyes widened before he recovered. " As you wish. The truth is that I would like you to be my lover."

Surprisingly, Ken smiled. " Yes, I suspected as much. Yet, what makes you think I want to be yours?"

A small sound escaped Omi, all his self-confidence deserting him.

" But…"

" My lord, no one ever gets everything they want. You more than anyone should realize that."

" No one has refused me yet," said the young Duke, trying to recover the upper hand.

" I just did."

Ran turned to stare at the prince. His mind was trying to decipher the prince’s last statement. There were two ways to take it, yet the tone of the statement led him to believe the prince was courting him. The easiest way to deal with it would be to dismiss it.

" If you believe it so…"

The prince turned to stare at him, and now it was Ran’s turn to be amused. The prince was used to ladies missing half a brain falling to his ridiculous flattery.

" Is there a problem, my prince?" The redhead schooled his face to appear neutral in case the prince suspected he was mocking him. It did not work.

" You mock me," said the prince, irritated.

" As you mock me. Do you think me some stupid lady that you can woo into your bed?"

"I never thought such a thing," rebutted the prince.

" I must go. If you excuse me…" but the prince had taken hold of his wrist.

" Wait! Please, can I see you again?"

" Did you not hear a word I said? I belong to Taeba. I cannot cross her." He tried to pull out of the Prince’s grip, but was surprised when he couldn’t. Yet, Ran had to admit he liked the attention.

" I do not care. I am not asking you to sleep with me, I just want to see you again."

" You are the prince, and I cannot stop you," answered the redhead cryptically.

" I do not mean that! I want to know if you would like to see me?"

" Release me."

" Answer me," and without warning, the prince kissed him. Ran could not believe the prince would actually do it, yet more surprising was that he was enjoying it a little too much. The prince’s lips were soft against his own. Then Yohji started nibbling at his bottom lip, urging him to open his lips. That frightened him into breaking the kiss.

" What…what the hell do you think you are doing?" hissed Ran. " Have you lost your mind?"

" Just answer me. Can I see you?"

Ran thought about refusing him, but at the moment, all he wanted was to be far away from the prince and the best way was to give the prince what he wanted.

" Yes, you may, now release me."

The prince grinned. " I will see you then," he said while caressing Ran’s cheek with his hand. " Do not forget your promise."

" I will not, your highness," replied the redhead as he avoided looking at the prince. When he was sure the prince was gone, he finally dared to look up, only to find a very amused Ken.

" Do not start,"

" Oh, but you should have seen your face when he kissed you. It was quite entertaining."

" I am leaving."

" Of course. No use in staying now." Ran glared at the sorcerer but it only worked in amusing him further.

" Do not be embarrassed, Ran. It was quite beautiful."

" Lord Hidaka, if you do not stop, I will run you through with my sword."

" Mmm, I guess it is a good thing I am your friend." Nonetheless, the sorcerer was quiet all the way home.

After the party and excusing themselves from their parents, Yohji realized that Omi was being unusually quiet. Usually, when the Duke seduced someone he would brag about it, yet…

" Omi, what is wrong?"

" I am tired."

" Is it only that? What happened with your sorcerer?" asked Yohji while putting his hand around Omi’s shoulders.

" Oh, nothing. I am no longer interested."

" Oh?"

" He is not interesting."

" Then why so sad? Did he refuse you?" Yohji did not mean to anger Omi, but when he asked the question, Omi stiffened and shrugged out from under him.

" No."

" He refused you…" said the Prince grinning.

" He did not! Now leave me be!" Omi said before he stalked towards his room.

" It was about time you learned…" whispered the prince to no one in particular.

 

TBC

 

Retour Chapitre 3