Blood Moon

Chapter 9

Yohji woke up early noticing that Omi had not come to wake him up. It was odd since the sun had fully risen and the birds were singing as if they had no care in the world. Slowly stretching until hearing the bones in his back pop, the blonde let himself contemplate Ran. Lovely, achingly beautiful Ran who had disappeared from the earth as if he never existed. Hopefully he was happy wherever he was.

Taeba had been a difficult goddess to placate after what the redhead had done to her. Not that Yohji didn’t agree with Ran taking his soul back, but maybe he could have been a bit more ‘diplomatic’ in what he said. Now Yohji was left trying to appease a goddess he didn’t even worship, keep a kingdom from going into a full-fledged war, and prevent a brother from wallowing in self-misery. Which brought back the question, where was his brother?

Last night the blonde had gone to bed a bit drunk and angry that Ken was not talking to him, or even looking in his direction when in the same room. It was a pity; both Ken and Omi needed each other, if only a certain stubborn mage could realize that.

Sighing, Yohji got up to wash his face in the small basin on top of his dresser still wondering what had happened with Omi when a bleary eyed blonde entered his room without the benefit of a knock. Thankfully Yohji was not one to sleep naked in other people’s beds or Omi would be in trouble.

"You forget your manners? It’s considered polite to knock before entering a person’s room," said the blonde as he took in the ragged appearance of his brother. Not that Omi was complaining, he looked a bit sleepy yes, but happy. It made the Prince stop in his rant and lift an eyebrow in question.

"So…what happened to you? Why didn’t you wake me this morning?"

Omi sighed as he flopped down on the bed. There was a blush staining his cheeks as he hugged a pillow.

"What did you do? It better not be one of your pranks?"

Omi had the grace to stop blushing, "Never. I haven’t pulled a prank in almost five seasons. Why start now?"

"Why the guilty face?"

"Ah," said Omi blushing, "Well…Ken came by last night, and…we—we talked."
Yohji grinned, "Talked, eh? That’s nice to know, but of course I was never one to blush because of talks."

"Shut up!," said Omi blushing like crazy as he threw a pillow at his brother’s head.

Yohji laughed as he evaded the pillow his brother had thrown, "So?"

"I don’t kiss and tell."

Throwing his head back the blonde laughed. Oh, this was rich; Omi was trying to act coy with him.

"Okay so you slept with him? This is the first time I’ve seen you try and keep it a secret."

Omi lowered his eyes, "Well, I’m not proud of it. It was almost pity sex. I was so drunk and I guess so was he…at least a bit."

"Okay…so you went to his room?"

"No, he came to mine. I was asleep and when I woke up there he was," sighing, Omi lightly pulled at his hair, "I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I act like such a fool in front of him, it’s embarrassing."

Yohji gave a wry smile sitting beside Omi, "Don’t worry about it kiddo. It happens to all of us when we meet someone we really care about. We’re always afraid they’ll leave us, so we act like fools."

"I do…I care so much for Ken. It was killing me that he wouldn’t talk to me, and then last night…When I woke up he was gone."

"I’m so sorry, but maybe he’s having trouble with this. You remember what he said, he swore not to let his emotions rule him. He gave into one emotion last night, just give him time. If you seek him out he might lash out."

Omi stared at him with red-rimmed eyes before slowly nodding. Yohji smiled as he tousled his brother’s hair in an affectionate fashion.

"Now how did you manage to get here looking like you crawled?"

A slight blush was his answer.

Ran looked out his room’s window as he softly touched the wards surrounding his room. It was stupid that he even for a moment thought that Crawford was going to let him roam around the palace grounds by himself. Not only that, but Schuldich was finding it amusing as hell that Ran disliked his presence, thus spending as much time as he could in his room.

But yet, that was not the worse part. Nagi was no longer allowed to be in his room, Crawford did not say why, but Ran had an idea. The precog must have realized what Nagi was doing for him.

He had no more energy to fight Crawford’s curse, every time Crawford turned him into that thing, he lost part of himself, he couldn’t take it anymore. His soul was being swallowed by that energy that needed his soul as sustenance. The more he fought it, the more he lost of himself. The more worried and desperate he became.

The redhead could not only feel it but see it; his hair was becoming longer and the color becoming lighter almost a light red, his skin paler, his eyes darker. It was frightening to think that he was losing himself to some foreign substance inside him. Before he had to fight with a goddess and now within himself.

"I cannot stand it."

A low laugh made him turn to see the redheaded telepath staring at him as if he couldn’t get enough of watching him.

"What?"

"So afraid of losing yourself? Don’t worry these changes are only temporary. Once your body gets used to the changes it will revert back to its original state."

Ran’s eyes narrowed, "I am not cattle, do not speak to me as if I am one."

Schuldich threw his head back in amusement before walking toward the redhead, "I would never refer to you as cattle. You are so much more attractive." Lifting his hand to caress the pale cheek but didn’t reach its destination as Ran batted his hand away.

"Go away. I do not have the patience to deal with you today. Why do you love torturing me so? As if I don’t have enough problems as it is."

"Ran, Ran, you baffle me. You try to seem strong but really are the most sensitive person I know. The simple mention of your sister drives you nuts, and you cannot think whenever someone you love is threatened, which is why I have come to warn you." Ran stared at him, the smile the telepath was sporting at the moment was not that of someone willing to help you.

"What is it?" snapped Ran as he turned to look at the window wondering what had he done on a previous life to deserve the torture he was going through at the moment.

"Well as you know I can read your mind. Sometimes I come watch you as you sleep; you have powerful dreams, especially of that blonde. I’m sure you know that we’re meeting the Prince of Libertas and I couldn’t help but notice that your blonde and the Prince are one and the same."

Schuldich’s smiled widened as Ran felt his stomach drop, Yohji…Yohji was here and maybe Ken. Oh goddess…

"Yes…and you are to kill him."

Eyes widened before turning to stare at the telepath in disbelief. "Kill my Prince? Why…? That is not what a gentleman would do."

Rich vibrant laughter filled the room as Schuldich threw himself on the bed giving the redhead a look that did not hide his intentions.

"I will not kill him."

"Ah. That’s what you say now. But you said it yourself every time Crawford asserts control over you; you cannot fight him. You will kill the Prince whether you like it or not."

"Shut up! I will not…I cannot…"

"Because you love him? That is not enough for you to fight Crawford. I don’t usually say this but I feel like having you around a bit longer and if you kill Yohji what’s left of your spirit will disappear. So I’ll say this once, if you want to save your Prince better think about what he means to you. You will not have the will to fight the curse as long as you doubt yourself."

Violet eyes widened at the sudden revelation. Schuldich was helping him. Why?

"Because I have fun whenever you’re around. You have such an interesting mind."

Yohji sneezed thinking that perhaps someone was talking about him. He hated this meeting, hated the talk and the realization that it was a big waste of his time. Prince Crawford wanted a war, Yohji was sure.

"My Lord?" whispered Ken beside him. So it seemed he couldn’t fool the mage.

Yohji tried to feign interest when the truth was that he was dying of boredom, but he needed to concentrate. Libertas could not afford to go to war with Zawquir at the moment.

This was ridiculous; Zawquir’s advisors were just giving his advisors the run around. It was becoming a waste of his time. Clearing his throat, Yohji flicked some stray hairs from his face before saying, "Lord Crawford, I understand what you are trying to say but it is impossible. Libertas cannot afford to go into war with Zawquir at the moment. Both our countries are suffering of their own crises without adding a war into the mix. The reason why I am here on behalf of the King of Libertas, my father, is to propose a treaty. Yet, I can see by the way this meeting is progressing that Zawquir does not share the same interests as Libertas. Hence, I shall propose that we conclude this business today and give Zawquir a chance to get its affairs straightened before tomorrow. Now if you will excuse me, I have things I must take care of."

Crawford slightly bowed his head, "As you wish Lord Kudou."

This was ridiculous Omi thought angrily. Here they were in a meeting that would determine how the next few years would be like for the country of Libertas and he couldn’t stop staring at Ken. It was becoming pathetic and the wizard was not even sparing a glance his way. Not that he didn’t know Omi was watching him; he had to know. He couldn’t just sleep with him the night before and forget about him the next, could he? At that moment Ken chose to look in his direction only to avert his gaze when Omi found his. He needed Ken, it was as simple as that. People could call it obsession and it was to some extent, but he loved Ken. He needed the wizard to the point that the simple thought of him going back to Sorcerer’s Mount was breaking his heart. Omi didn’t think he could go through it again sending letters that were never received or answered. Not knowing if his lover was alive or dead.

"Duke? It is time to go," said the wizard in a low voice. Omi blinked coming out of his reveries enough to stare at the wizard before nodding slowly as he lowered his gaze. Damn did Ken look good, black suited him. It made him look more mysterious, sensual and the fact that he had seen the body under all that clothing made his heart soar. He, Omi Tsukiyono, had been the only one to make this wizard with no emotions lose control of himself and fulfill his desires.

"Omi…" whispered Ken again, "Move it or people will start to stare."

"Yes," said the young Duke getting up from his chair. Ken extended his hand which Omi took feeling that his heart was speeding out of control.

Omi was staring at Ken’s face noticing how beautiful it was. What the hell was wrong with him? It was as if he had eaten an aphrodisiac for breakfast. "Ken?"

"Hmm?," asked the wizard, a bit distracted. Looking toward the object that had his lover’s attention so enraptured he realized that it was another wizard. A warrior who looked more like an elf than a human.

"What? I thought using elves for magic had been prohibited ever since the God’s war," whispered Omi as he watched Crawford lean over to say something in the wizard’s ear before turning to leave. The wizard looked imposing with his black armor and sword. Still, that wasn’t what had his attention ensnared but the eyes…violet eyes. Gasping, the young Duke turned his attention to Ken. Maybe that was why Ken was staring; he was remembering his friend, who ever since that fateful night he’d heard nothing about.

Briefly closing his eyes, Ken sighed and then looked around him before settling his gaze on the young man beside him, "Yes, elves are prohibited from becoming official wizards but I doubt this person is a real elf. It’s a human."

Blue eyes widened in incredulity. Who would do that to themselves? Instead he just said, "Why?"

"To get more power. Power, the source of all human conflicts."

"Aa…" yes, power. It had nearly destroyed his kingdom before and now it seemed that Lord Crawford wanted all the power for himself. "Power…why are we humans so stupid?"

"Because we have too much pride. Pride had always been our biggest sin. It always leads to our destruction."

Omi shivered, hopefully that was not a premonition.

A part of Ran’s brain was thinking that Yohji looked so handsome sitting there. Actually he looked bored but that didn’t stop him from looking striking in his dark robes and glistening golden hair. A part of him reached out and screamed, Yohji! Yohji! Yohji! It did not make a difference; Yohji did not know what a monstrosity Crawford had turned him into. It was better if he forgot about the blonde altogether, along with his friends. Ken was staring at him…Ken his only friend, his brother, the last of his family…Yohji, Ken, and even Omi…sayonara.

"You must kill the Prince tonight," said Crawford as he leaned against his shoulder. He was losing himself again. The redhead was trying to fight it but he could only go so far before he completely lost himself into the curse.

"Aa."

Schuldich had a small smirk on his features as if saying ‘You can’t do anything to fight this,’ and he was right. Ran was lost; the only thing left was the creature Crawford referred to as ‘Dark Knight.’ That was all that was left and it was time he accepted it.

It would make his existence so much easier, but he couldn’t let go. He had not submitted to a goddess only to come out of it and be controlled by a human. He would not put up with it as long as he had too.

Ken was nervous, in his heart he knew something would happen tonight and with the way the redheaded lord from Zawquir was looking at him it was dissolving any doubt he had in his mind. The redheaded lord smiled at this thought, making Ken nervous, maybe he was a mind reader. No need to risk it. Turquoise colored eyes narrowed as the wizard started to enforce his mental shields as well as those of the Duke and Prince by putting them under his protective field.

Yohji was laughing at something Omi must have said; at least they were having fun. Ken couldn’t have fun, not ever since Ran had disappeared. He missed him. A part of his heart ached every time he started thinking that maybe Ran had met with some unfortunate end.

"He cannot be…"

Then he felt someone’s breath stirring his bangs on his face. Startled, the wizard turned to meet jade eyes that were staring at him with thinly veiled curiosity.

A soft sigh escaped rosy lips from the red wine that the Prince had been drinking, "What’s the matter?"

"Nothing. Do not mind me Your Highness."

A soft chuckle escaped the Prince, "My dear wizard, when you say it that way it just begs for some answers."

" I was just thinking about Ran…I miss him. It drives me crazy not knowing what happened to him. If he were dead I would like to know, but this not knowing…"

To his surprise the Prince sighed sadly before giving the wizard a wry smile, "Let’s just hope for the best, ne? Sometimes I wish I didn’t not love him, then this would not hurt as much."

Ken sighed quietly. What could he say to that? Nothing.

Crawford smiled, this was the night when he would finally be rid of that Prince and Libertas and Zawquir would be at war. Once that happened Crawford would be free to go in and get some land from Libertas. And when that was done, Crawford would finally feel like he was getting somewhere.

"Aya you must kill the Prince of Libertas, no mistakes, okay?"

"Yes."

Crawford watched as the green haired wizard turned and walked away not a moment of hesitation visible on his face.

The Dark Knight blended with the shadows as he walked through the garden using the natural sounds and shifts of light to his advantage. He was to kill the Prince and then Crawford would stop bothering him for a while. A while of peace and silence, that’s what he wanted. It was the only comfort he could have at the moment.

Stepping up to the balcony in front of the Prince’s room, the Knight stood watching his prey. There was a part of his heart that thudded in apprehension over what he was going to do, but the larger part of his brain was begging him to get this over with so he could finally rest in peace. Silence was what his body craved; his heart ached for it and was strong enough to overcome any doubts he had over the matter.

A gentle breeze went through his hair obscuring his vision for a moment and being replaced by a memory of someone…. Someone telling him to come back. Argh! Olive colored hands reached up to grab at his head, he was so confused. What did all of this mean?

The room was warded but his body was strong enough to be able to go through the barrier with no major harm done but it wouldn’t be long before the imperial guard arrived at the room.

Entering the room Aya noticed that the occupant was still asleep having thrown the covers off his body to expose his torso. The moonlight reflected on his golden hair making it look as if it was made of strands of gold.

"Gold…" whispered Aya before unconsciously reaching out to finger some of the strands. The movement made sleepy jade eyes open before going impossibly wide when noticing that there was another person in the room.

"Who are you?" whispered the Prince not wanting to startle the warrior. Perhaps it would give him enough time to put up a shield.

The Knight made no movement nor acknowledged him until he moved his hand away from the golden head.

"You’re that Knight…" But the knight was not paying any attention to him but was mumbling something under his breath instead.

Holding his breath, the Prince started to slowly reach under his bed for the dagger he had hidden there. Not that it would make much difference once the Knight decided to use his sword.

It was at that moment that violet eyes turned in his direction watching him for what seemed like a heartbeat before an armor covered hand reached for his sword.

Yohji’s heart was about to jump out of his chest; he knew it! This had been a trap set up by Zawquir just to get him out of his country.

"Who sent you?"

The amethyst eyes regarded him for a moment before an almost musical sounding voice answered, "You interfere with the plans of my master. I have no choice."

Yohji closed his eyes as he slowly sighed. "Do me a favor. Could you please not harm my brother?"

Those eyes seemed wary for a moment but then a small nod was given, "My master might not agree but I promise not to harm your brother."

Yohji nodded as he placed the dagger on top of the bed, "One more thing, could I have your name? If you are to be the one to send me to the other side it only seems proper."

The knight’s head tilted to the side as he thought about it before answering, "Aya…My name is Aya."

At this Yohji’s head snapped up as if for the first time noticing the violet eyes.

"Aya? She’s…she’s dead…Ran?"

Violet eyes widened in fear as the owner lifted his sword to strike the Prince down.

"Ran! Stop!!!"

 

Retour Chapitre 10